A bucket list is important for one thing and one thing only.
Want to know what it is? It is happiness!
When we cross things off our bucket list the immediate emotion that results is happiness. Achieving a goal makes us all happy. Merely ticking it off our list gives us a great sense of satisfaction. It puts a smile on our face, especially if it’s a real accomplishment.
Even if you frequently live by goals or to-do lists, they are probably framed within a certain social context e.g. your performance, career, health. A bucket list opens up the context. It’s a forum to write down anything and everything you’ve ever wanted to do, whether it’s big, small or random. It’s just like pinpointing all the highlights you want for your whole life.
How long will it take? Only about 30-60 minutes (more if you get really caught up in it). What do you stand to gain? Significant clarity and focus on what you want from your life. It’s an invaluable exchange.
If you already have your list, take this opportunity to review it. See if there are new items you want to add on. If so, put them on your list. Check if all the items listed are still relevant or important to you. If not, remove them.
Now, take out your pen and paper or open up a text document. Start writing down what comes to mind as you read the following questions…
1. What would you do if you had unlimited time, money and resources?
2. What activities or skills would you like to learn or try out?
3. Are there any special moments you want to witness?
4. Are there any countries, places or locations you really want to visit?
5. What experiences do you want to have or do you want to feel?
6. Where do you wish you could be right now?
7. What are your biggest goals and dreams?
8. What have you always wanted to do but have not done yet?
9. What would you love to do together with friends or family?
10. What would you like to have achieved when you look back over your life?
Planning Your Adventure was conceived by Tandem Financial Ltd, a holistic UK financial planning business. Their aim is to help you identify your personal goals and objectives and to inspire you to pursue them, living life to the full.
Based in Luton, Bedfordshire, Tandem Financial Ltd is a boutique financial planning firm, specialising in pensions, investments and holistic planning. The team mainly works with business owners, successful families and those approaching retirement, helping them make smarter decisions with their money.