Have you ever imagined swimming amongst manta rays, discovering secret tropical islands or snorkelling your way through lush marine life? Then visiting the Great Barrier Reef should be the next priority on your bucket list. Australia’s breathtaking natural wonder is the largest coral reef system in the world and, incredibly, the only living organism visible from space.
Nature at its Finest
The Great Barrier Reef is situated off the Queensland coast in Australia’s north east quarter. Comprising of 3,000 individual reefs and 900 islands, the area spans a massive 1,400 miles, offering plenty of opportunities for uncovering your own slice of blissful paradise. The reef is awash with life of every shape and size, from sea snakes to whales, and everything in between.
“This wildlife haven actually boasts around 10% of all fish species on the planet, making it a treasure trove of aquatic colour and vitality.”
What to See and Do
With so much area to cover, planning the perfect trip can be a little daunting, especially if you’re investing plenty of money into this once in a lifetime experience. Spending ample time researching locations, trips and accommodation can help to alleviate the stress, and it’s always a good idea to check opinions of fellow travellers from reputable sources, such as TripAdvisor.
An endless array of exciting options are at your disposal, with some of the Great Barrier Reefs highlights including:
- Lizard Island – White sandy shores, secret lagoons and resident goannas make this picturesque spot an island to remember.
- Daintree Forest – This ancient rainforest offers a beautiful escape from the water, ideal for nature lovers and walking enthusiasts.
- Yongala Shipwreck – Regarded as one of the world’s most spectacular diving locations, this breathtaking site is certainly a sight to behold.
- Low Isles – Enjoy snorkelling at its best amidst majestic turtles in the connecting reef of two pristine coral cays.
- Take to the Whitsunday Skies – Exploring the area’s most popular islands by plane or helicopter ensures treasured memories and unparalleled photo opportunities.