If you can think it, you can write it! Dreaming of writing a novel? Well, this is your day! Let’s get started!
In today’s busy world, it can be tough to figure out where and when to find time for creative writing. There is also that pesky little thing called, “fear of failure,” that stops most people from chasing after their dreams.
Perhaps you have thought that you are not good enough to do it, or that you you lack the skills needed to reach your goal. Maybe you have three kids who, from the moment you get home from work, until they close their eyes at bedtime, need your attention.
Most People Who Think They Can’t Write, Can
Whatever the case may be, if you have a burning passion for writing, we are here to tell you, YOU CAN DO IT! Even if you do not plan to become the next journalist for The Guardian, you can still make your dream come true and write your first novel. Who knows where it may take you!
To get started, it is important to organize your thoughts.
Here is a simple checklist to help you write your novel. You can make each point into a mind map if you wish, or just use bullets when brainstorming.
1. Determine your target audience: Who will read the novel? Put yourself in the shoes of the reader and think, “would this interest me?”
2. Pick your theme (you could also do this before determining the target audience): Decide whether the novel will be fiction or non-fiction. If non-fiction, make sure that you have resources to pull on for information and facts.
3. Draft a rough idea of the beginning (problem), the middle (agitation), and the end (solution).
4. Pay attention to language. Make the text easy for the reader to follow, and be sure to check your grammar and spelling. Proofreading is key!
5. ENJOY THE PROCESS. Be bold. Don’t be afraid to experiment. Take risks!
So, how about it, are you ready?
No more excuses. It’s time to make your dream come true!